Israeli soldiers raid homes in Jerusalem after Palestinian protests

IDF soldiers stormed homes in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Shuafat on Monday evening after several Palestinians protested against a series of attacks against Israelis by Israeli forces in the past few days.

The soldiers were searching for a man who fled the area, when they found the man, an 18-year-old man, in the yard, said a soldier who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case.

The soldier identified him as Abdallah Abu Ali, and he was detained for questioning, the soldier said.

Abu Ali told the soldier that he was at home with his family when Israeli forces attacked the area near his home on Sunday evening, killing three Israelis and wounding nine others.

He told the military that he and his family fled to a nearby house, where they stayed until Israeli forces came and began shooting at them, he said.

The Israeli military said Abu Ali had fled the scene of the incident but would not say where he was or what he was doing.

Israeli forces had opened fire on the neighborhood several times on Sunday night after Palestinian youths hurled rocks at Israeli forces and hurled Molotov cocktails at the soldiers in the area.

Palestinians hurled rocks and Molotova cocktails at Israeli soldiers on Sunday, and Israeli forces shot rubber-coated steel bullets at them.

They also used tear gas to disperse the protesters.

Abu Ismail, an Israeli army spokesman, said on Monday that the military was investigating the incident and could not immediately confirm whether the man was the one who was detained.

He also did not say if the man had been taken into custody.

Abu Abbas, a Palestinian youth leader, said he and other youths who participated in the protests had been detained by the soldiers for five hours on Monday, and that he had been held in a holding center.

He said that some of them were tortured and were forced to sign confessions that did not include any details about the attack.

Abu Abed, the leader of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, said that a number of his members were detained on Sunday as well, and added that the detainees were denied medical care and told they would be killed if they spoke out against the military.

He called on Palestinians in the West Bank to join the demonstrations, saying that the demonstration would “stop the occupation from continuing.”